Principles of Color
PRINCIPLES OF HAIRCOLOUR REDKEN PRINCIPLES- Redken Principles govern everything we do—they’re fundamental truths or laws with natural consequences.
- Principles apply to haircolour, design, finishing, texture and business building.
- In haircolour, we use principles to explain science, formulation, placement and application.
- Principles are natural and become second nature once learned
PRINCIPLES OF HAIRCOLOUR: WHAT IS HAIR?- Hair is a canvas composed of a mixture of protein, moisture, lipids, pigment, minerals and carbohydrates in various proportions.
- The hair’s structure is divided into 3 areas: the cuticle, the cortex and the medulla.
- There are two types of natural pigment: pheomelanin and eumelanin. Everyone has a combination of both.
- The physical properties of hair are texture, density and condition. All are important to consider when formulating haircolour.
PRINCIPLES OF HAIRCOLOUR VISUAL VALUES AND THE LEVEL SYSTEM- When analyzing hair for a haircolour service, it’s important to determine the hair’s natural level or its visual value, ranging from light to dark. - This is always the starting point for achieving desired haircolour results.
- Redken’s visual values chart is divided into 5 value ranges: lightest, light, medium, dark and darkest.
- Undertones are the warmth created during the lifting process. This is caused by the fragmenting of the natural pigment."
PRINCIPLES OF HAIRCOLOUR PRINCIPLE BASED FORMULATION- As part of your consultation, determine the natural level, or starting level, of the hair.
- Then determine the target level, desired level, percentage of gray and desired tonal result.
- Look for the undertone at the desired level to help determine the end result.
Gray hair requires a balance of brown and added warmth to maintain a natural look.
Select a developer based on your Redken haircolour brand, shade and level.
Make adjustments based on the hair’s physical properties. If the hair is questionable in any way, it’s important to perform one or more pre-treatments prior to the haircolour service."
REDKEN X FOIL ME
Especially designed for our newest hair lightening product, the Flash Lift with Bonder Inside, the exclusive alloy, microns and MATTE BLACK coating makes this foil a FIRST of its kind across the globe!
FIND A SALON NEAR YOU
Experience the best in haircare, styling, and haircolor at Redken salons.